Tuesday 25 March 2014

Sunday Thought: Kimye...Vogue?



There is nothing like a dreamy Sunday. Milsons point, is such a gorgeous area - perhaps even one of my favourite places in Sydney. 
Whilst I was sitting on the wharf, I was thinking about US Vogue, April... you know, the one with Kim K on the cover. 
Three words: What the hell. 
I was outraged when I saw this, it felt like such an enormous insult to the world of Fashion. Vogue has always featured iconic, natural, powerful women on the cover, as well as inside the magazine. This is one of the features that makes Vogue the most adored magazine in the world. Having Kim on the cover - just makes no sense what-so-ever.
Yes - she has a line of clothing and accessories, but we all know why she is really famous.

Nothing against Kimmy K, but Vogue actually put her on the same level, as the legendary Kate Moss - they have now both been on the cover of Vogue.

In addition to this, I do understand and respect Anna Wintour's decision to make Kimye her April front cover. She says "Part of the pleasure of editing Vogue, one that lies in a long tradition of this magazine, is being able to feature those who define the culture at any given moment, who stir things up, whose presence in the world shapes the way it looks and influences the way we see it"

I guess they are "defining the moment" - I might just be having some difficultly adjusting to what is happening to the world.
I get it - Kimye is currently a "big thing", but personally - I would much prefer to read an issue of Vogue, with had a hard working, inspirational woman on the cover - rather than someone who got famous from her lack of self respect.